Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Jindi Chive & Garlic Brie


Taste

Jindi is famous for their brie. I've tried their normal version and it was very good, so I was excited to find this variety on their repertoire. Alas, I was underwhelmed. Even though the brie was set to expire in 1 week's time according to the packaging, the brie was still not matured. The taste was therefore quite bland, and there was none of that creamy brie texture. I could see little specks of chives (at least I think they were chives and not mould) but I sure couldn't taste it. You can only taste garlic if the piece you are eating happen to contain garlic, there is no seeping of garlic, or chive, or onion or chilli flavour at all.

Now, I don't mind not having the chive and garlic flavour, I actually prefer my brie straight, but if I wanted that I would buy a straight brie! This one is misleading. I should know that not all cheeses are created equal. Even though the brie is award winning, the Camembert I've tried previously was nothing to write home about.

Rating - 6

Look

In the standard Jindi packaging. A portion of brie shrink-wrapped in clear plastic, with the green and gold label. Nothing to distinguish it from any other cheese, and the reseal value is not high at all. As mentioned, the cheese doesn't look attractive, with specks of dark brown or dark green.

Rating - 0.5

C-factor

Normally around $3 for 125g. Seems pretty cheap, but I'd rather get something with more bite.

Rating - 0.5

Swiss Points - 7

Ingredients

pasteurized cow's milk, starter cultures, onion, chives, garlic, chilli, salt, non animal rennet

Available At

Harris Farm Markets
Website

No comments: