Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ichiban Boshi


What better place to catch up for a girly lunch than good old Ichiban. I'd been a fan of their food for awhile, but ever since they closed down their Strand Arcade shop, it's been a bit far to visit. So on another uneventful day at work, I hopped over to their Galleries Victoria location for an early lunch. I thought if I got there at 12pm on a Monday lunchtime, that would be ok. Too late! There's already a small crowd waiting for a table on this 2nd floor open space with about 50 seats. I followed the people in front of me and put my name on the waiting list. Their system works just like Ramen Kan, and is even more polished - with a column asking if you mind sharing a table as well as having a little number tear off that you hand to them when they call your number.

Despite the crowd though, turnover was quick, and before my buddy has even arrived, I was shown to a table.

Food

I wanted to order the Tonkotsu Ramen ($9.90), described on their menu as "thin noodles in a slow-cooked pork and sesame seed broth, topped with roast pork, seaweed and red ginger, rich in collagen, so I can compare it to the one at Ton Ton. As always, it wasn't available until 1.30pm (my buddy said that she'd NEVER managed to ever order it). So I quickly scanned the menu for another choice. Having tried all the basic ramens, as well as their Katsu-ju, Katsu curry and Karaage Cheese Curry before, I decided to try the Karaage Ramen - soy sauce soup topped with succulent deep-fried chicken ($9.90). I'd forgotten how huge their bowls are. My noodles were springy and al-dente. The chicken had a lovely coating and was satisfying. The soup base I thought was a bit salty (yes I know it was shoyu based but still, I was so thirsty afterwards!), and I would've liked a bit more of the bamboo shoot and corn to absorb and perhaps offset the saltiness of the soup. Shallots added just the right touch to the taste.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

They must like putting their shops in the middle of shopping centres. At the Strand, you get used to sitting squished together and sharing tables. Here, there are lots more space, and more smaller tables, although of course, you can still share. The colour scheme is mostly white, white plastic tables, white plastic chairs. The space is on the 2nd floor. You get a view of the shopping centre all around, and it's really like you are dining in the middle of people shopping as there's no walls or doors separating yourself with the shopping centre.

I was happy to see all manners of people dining here, but as always, it seems to be more popular with the Asians.

Rating - 1.5

Service

The sound of " Irrashaimases" rang throughout the joint, always a good sign. The staff here are all equipped with walkie-talkie headphones. We stopped one in our track and placed our order. Two glasses of water arrive without us having to ask (although they never top up). In due time, our noodles arrive. We go up to the counter to pay. Like I said, a very well-oiled machine.

Rating - 3

C-factor

Not the cheapest Japanese place around, but for the size of their meal, the nice setting, no wonder there's always a crowd waiting. Not only did we catch up on about 7 years of gossip, she wouldn't let me pay either. A pleasant way to spend Monday lunchtime.

Rating - 1.5

Brownie Points - 13.5

Info

Level 2,
The Galeries Victoria
500 George Street,
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9262 7677
Website

No comments: