Monday, July 30, 2007

Tomoya Japanese Restaurant

Slokky came here previously and said the food was excellent. In fact, everyone on eatability raves about this place too. However, what I didn’t read was that for a Japanese restaurant, it was actually their small collection of Korean food that was the standout… yeah, the sizzling bimbimbah at the next table looked really really good!

Food

Even though it’s a Japanese restaurant and the menu is mainly your typical Japanese, the restaurant is run by Koreans, and they have a small selection of interesting Korean dishes.

Being in Strathfield, even Japanese restaurants give you the sides dishes of pickles. This time we had 4 small plates: kim chi (ok), radish (my favourite), bean sprouts (overrated) and spinach (spicy).

I decided to go Korean as I saw the beef bone soup ($11) on the menu. I was expecting a lot of flavour, but the soup was very mild. There were quite a bit of beef in it, but the beef was kinda tough and tasteless. There were some thin rice noodles too, they had no taste because the soup was so mild. The waiter advised me to put lots of salt and shallots into the soup though, so I guess it’s a matter of adding your own flavours…What I didn’t get was, why did my meal also include miso soup (stock standard) and rice(didn’t eat it because I was full from the noodles!)

Slokky had the unagi set ($19.50). He didn’t get any miso soup for his meal! But it had 2 fried gyoza (average), sushi (a prawn and tofu one but I didn’t try), sashimi (average, not that fresh), and eel (they were very generous and the eels were plump, and actually quite nice as it wasn’t drowned in sauce) on a bed of lettuce, and rice.

I also tried PJ’s chicken teriyaki, which was also generous, but tasted only average.

Rating - 6

Atmosphere

They have decided to go a bit over the bare walls and table look flavoured by most places, they have gone for the traditional Japanese look. There is even a small sushi counter.

The plates aren’t as pretty as a normal Japanese restaurant, and there are all these Korean touches (like those silver spoons they always use, and the water bottle). It’s located in a shopping centre but you really wouldn’t know it.

Rating - 1.5

Service

The waiter was pretty good, and explained some things to us. When they delivered our meals though, they just plonked it down wherever, and didn’t ask who’s dish was who’s, but we’re ok with that.

I left my scarf there and they were so nice about it!

Rating - 3.5

C-factor

It’s not the cheapest Japanese or the cheapest Korean around. Their food is ok but their servings are pretty generous.

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 11.5

Info

Strathfield Plaza Shop
Level Ground, Shop 34, The Boulevarde
Strathfield
NSW 2135
Phone (02) 9746 8877

No comments: