Monday, July 30, 2007

Thai on 1


Cheap meals at the big boys end of town is hard to come by, so off we went to the NSW Leagues Club for their Thursday lunch special.

Food

There is one dish on the menu that is $8 on a Thursday, this week it was the green curry beef. Since I am actually a fan of the green curry, and I didn’t want to make the decision any harder, I decided to just go for it.

Well, I don’t know about the rest of the dishes, but I definitely would not pay $8 for what I got. Basically it was a plate with half a bowl of rice and some watery vegetables and very dry beef in a sweetish sauce. The quantity was not huge but it was ok, but it’s the quality I was appalled about, especially the extra soft rice – even if they can’t cook curry, all they had to do was get a rice cooker for the rice, but they couldn’t even do that. I don’t know if I was biased, but the lemon, lime & bitters wasn’t too crash hot either.

Rating - 2

Atmosphere

I think this one has undergone some sort of refurbishment also as part of the smoking ban. I have to say it wasn’t really to my taste. They tried to make it look futuristic, but it was done with cheap, tacky furniture. The result is something pretending to be something it’s not.

Rating - 1

Service

You have to order at the kitchen. The poor lone waiter was so run off her feet, but she still managed to take my order and give me the buzzer. She wasn’t very helpful though, and only because my colleagues already told me about the special, I was able to find out about it.

Well, my meal arrived faster than I could get my drink, whereas the people who ordered in a group had to wait awhile.

Rating - 3

C-factor

Way too expensive for some below average Thai.

Rating - 0

Brownie Points - 6

Info

275 Liverpool Road
Ashfield
NSW 2131
Phone (02) 9798 8437
Website

No comments: