Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Orizuru Sushi Bar


We’ve visited the Mures dock a few times before, and always watch people tucking away at their fresh seafood with glee. We had to choose between the seafood restaurant on the upper deck and the sushi bar, and decided to go sushi, as I’ve read some great reviews for the sushi bar, and you can taste the seafood best in its natural state. Boy was I disappointed. I think this can be included as one of the worst restaurants I’ve dined in in Tasmania.

Food

The menu consisted of the usual sushi offerings, nigiri, sashimi, hand rolls…etc, as well as some hot offerings and specials. We decided the best way to sample both sides of the menu was to get the:

  • Soft Shell Crab Roll (4 pcs) ($11) – rolled sushi with deep fried crispy soft shell crab in large nori rolls - which, unfortunately, was the worst soft shell crab I’ve eaten. The crab was limpy, the serving was really small. The only thing it had going for it was the sauce, which helped it go down.
  • Nigiri Special ($18.50) – common style and eight variety of nigiri, complimented by three pieces of maki - I was really looking forward to this, but I was so disappointed. The sushi looked horrible, all wrongly shaped, and they were being pretty stingy with the fish too. It was fresh enough, but the rice seemed like it wasn’t freshly prepared.
Everyone else seemed to have order a few plates each, but after those two lacklustre dishes, I decided that I would save myself for dessert somewhere else.

Rating - 4

Atmosphere

Well, it was quite busy when we came in, and actually had to wait before we could be seated. The place is quite small, and looks like your cliché sushi bar, all Japanese wall hangings and lacquer ware. The sushi bar was quite small actually, only allowing 2-3 people to sit there. Most of the people dining there were tourists, so I guess they don’t need to work hard on repeat business.

Rating - 1.5

Service

I have to give credit to the lone waiter. She was not very friendly at all, no smiles, all business, but at least she really means business. Her multi-tasking was first rate, as I watched her seat people, take orders, deliver food, clear dishes and settle the bill for everyone with great efficiency. Her work would probably take about 2-3 normal waiters to do. No wonder she has no time to smile, she doesn’t have enough time to breathe! I admire her greatly, and as far as I could tell, she didn’t make a single mistake!

Rating - 4

C-factor

Way too expensive for the small amount of food that we got. I won’t be back.

Rating - 0

Brownie Points - 9.5

Info

Victoria Dock
Hobart
TAS 7000
Phone (03) 6231 1790
Website

No comments: