Friday, June 15, 2007

Royal Mochi

Taste

Ever since my trip to Japan, I’ve been on the lookout for some good mochi. There were a pack of 30, each with a chewy but not sticky and thick outer, which I didn’t prefer as much as the soft, just made texture. I guess they have to compensate there for preservation reasons. The filling on the other hand, were wonderful and no complaints there. In fact, some of it, especially the green tea, is better than the Japanese ones!

These came in 5 different flavours:

  • green tea - fabulous flavour, with a dusting of green tea on top. Not too sweet and you can actually taste tea!
  • sesame - a strong hit of the sesame goodness, and looks spectacular too with the black and white sesame seed coating
  • peanut - unlike peanut butter, not too sweet and balanced just right, and with a dusting of peanuts on top
  • red bean - one of the more disappointing offering as I was expecting a lot more, but still good, just not as good as the others
  • taro - the most boring tasting of the lot.

Rating - 7

Look

Each sat in its own paper backing, which sat on an individual plastic compartment, which was wrapped in plastic, then put in a box, then another paper bag is provided for you to carry it, so all very Japanese with the amount of packaging it uses. The 5 different mochis are distinctly different in looks. They all look so special, with some coated on top and some not, and all a different colour too! If it’s not for the environment this is heaven!

Rating - 2.5

C-factor

900g for $7, to which you get 30 pieces of mochi. It’s not a bad price at all really!

Rating - 2

Swiss Points - 11.5

Ingredients

glutinous, sugar, maltose, peanut, sesame, red-bean, taro, green tea

Available At

Asian grocers

2 comments:

thanh7580 said...

Hi CC, thanks for linking to my blog "I Eat Therefore I Am" but I just wanted to clarify that I'm actually a Melbourne Blog (sorry to disappoint) rather than a Sydney Blog. I like your blog by the way. I've always wanted to find a blog where someone rated everyday sweet items so I know what to buy from the supermarket. There's so many choices for biscuits, chips, snacks, chocolates etc that I just stand there and wish I knew which ones were good before having to spend quite a lot of money to try it out.

cc said...

well spotted, thanh7580! Now I know where to go for info when I visit Melbourne too!