Friday, June 08, 2007

Tamil Civic Centre Fundraising

We were driving pass Homebush Public School when we noticed the sign declaring "Sri-Lankan and Indian Food Festival", so of course we had to stop. We found a group of about 30 men and women, in a very organised production line, cooking up all manner of goodies. We joined the line and chose from a printed menu(!) of various delights. I of course wanted to go for stuff that I haven’t tried before, so we ordered:

  • kottu rotty lamb ($7) - which was tappanyaki style fried noodles with lamb, except with Sri-Lankan spicing. We watched the chefs make it fresh on the spot and it was wonderfully spicy and flavoursome.
  • masala thosai ($3) - I thought this was something new, but it was just a dosai spelt differently. In saying that, I love dosais, and this one was well made. The soupy accompaniment was hotter than I’m used to and has whole vegetables. I really like the coconut raita that came with it, it’s even better than Janani’s!
  • lamb roll ($1.10) - like a chikko roll only with lamb. The lamb has a strong taste, but I don’t think I’ll get this one again
We paid, got given a receipt, and browsed the market. It was actually quite a long wait, especially when you are standing there watching and smelling the food. We leapt up when our number was called, and carried our well-packaged parcels home for a feast! Good food and a good cause at the same time? I like it!

No comments: