Friday, June 02, 2006

Cafe Mix


Food

We went to Cafe Mix especially for the Sydney Italian Festival event. They are having an Umbrian guest chef, Federico Santini from Domus Pacis in Assisi, cooking a special Italian selection. Because we came especially for that, based on that alone, the food was very disappointing.

Cafe Mix has the usual hotel buffet spread, plus or minus a few things. I will describe each one in turn.

Cold bar:

  • oyster
  • prawn
  • crab
  • smoked salmon
  • marinated vegetables
  • Caesar salad
  • bread
  • cheeses
  • dips
This was the best out of all the sections. The prawns were fresh, the oysters big, antipasto tasty. The only gripe was the bread. They had whole loaves there, but no knife, so how were you supposed to eat this?

Italian selection:

  • risotto
  • chocolate mousse cake
  • prawn and bread crumb salad
  • veal
  • fish in garlic and lemon sauce
  • chick pea soup
  • baked potatoes
It was very oily, not particularly balanced in flavour, only warm, and not very creative!

Japanese selection:

  • assorted sushi
  • assorted sashimi
  • miso soup and noodles
  • vegetable broth
  • fried whitebait
I was disappointed with the sushi. The rice was dried. I didn't get to try the sashimi as the selection had run out and they weren't refilled. The fried whitebait was good, crunchy and bitey. I didn't get a chance to try the miso or the noodles.

Chinese/Malaysian/Indonesian selection:

  • nasi goreng
  • braised beef in tomato sauce
  • sweet and sour chicken
  • mixed boiled vegetables
  • dim sums
  • vegetable soup
The dim sums were quite good, but of course not as good as a yum cha place. They really fill you up though, and Slokky got heaps of it so I had to eat it too. The braised beef was divine, soft and melt in the mouth. I also tried the chicken which was like other sweet and sour chicken. I didn't try the other stuff, but Slokky said the soup is just like the one he makes himself.

Indian selection:

  • peas and cheese curry
  • dahl
  • chicken curry
  • samosa
  • naan
  • pappadum
  • chuctley
  • pickle
  • yoghurt
I think I'm too spoiled for good Indian, but I wasn't a big fan. Again, I didn't try all, but of the ones I tried, the only things worthy of note are the samosas and the pea and cheese curry, both had depth of flavour and were not too oily.

Dessert selection:

  • mini gelatoes in cone:
    • mango
    • vanilla
    • hazelnut
    • chocolate
    • choc mint
    • raspberry
  • various gelatoes with coin, toppings
  • creme brulee
  • cannoli
  • almond biscotti
  • various cakes
  • various pastries
  • chocolate fountain with strawberries and marshmallows
  • assorted fruit

By the time I got to dessert, I couldn't fit anything else in, so I tried a very small selection. Again, hit and miss. I loved the mango and hazelnut gelatos, the creme brulee, and the strawberries with choc of course, but I couldn't try anything else, even though it looks very enticing. All in all, disappointed with the Italian stuff, and too full to be able to enjoy the dessert!!

Rating - 5.5

Atmosphere

Being situated in a quality hotel already guarantees Cafe Mix of a tasteful and expensive layout, and it didn't disappoint. Cafe Mix is absolutely beautiful. The circular entrance is decorated by coloured jugs of food. The lighting is suitably dim and atmosphere lively without being overly loud. The display of all the food are innovative, if not too functional, like the "bread basket" at our table. We were seated near a window, with views of the Cahill Expressway and the Wednesday night traffic jam, quite amusing actually.

Rating - 3

Service

Eating there is a breeze. We decided at the last minute to eat there, so I just called that afternoon to book a table. We were seated and away quickly. The staff were polite and mostly efficient, bringing us water and oil for our bread, and folding our napkins when we leave. Our plates were mostly cleared very quickly. The only gripe I have is that the food was not replenished quickly enough, and there were lots of empty slots.

Rating - 4.5

C-factor

For me, the food always rule. Because the food wasn't up to my expectation for the price I paid $58p.p for dinner Sun - Thu, I was disappointed. The only "special" moment was when Slokky chatted with the Italian chef who can't really cook, but he was a boring conversationist compared to others we met in Italy.

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 13.5

Info

Level 1, Shangri-La Hotel
176 Cumberland St,
The Rocks
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9250 6206

No comments: