Friday, June 30, 2006

Marilan Wafer Biscuits


Taste

I was never a big fan of wafers, but Slokky is, so we got some of these to try. I am still on my Italian food pilgrimage so I was quite looking forward to them. Marilan makes biscuits in: strawberry,coco,chocolate,doce de latte (caramel),baunilla (vanilla). The first one I tried was strawberry, as soon as you open them you can smell that sickly sweet fake strawberry smell. Each wafer is pretty small and thin, with a few layers of strawberry cream sandwiched in between. I didn't expect good things with strawberry cream (has anyone had a real strawberry tasting one yet?), and this one was at about the same level as what I expected. After the strawberry, I didn't have high expectations for the chocolate, but I was pleasantly surprised. The chocolate cream was quite hazelnutty, as most Italian chocolate tend to be, and the wafer was crunchy! I haven't been converted into a wafer lover yet, but one or two once every once in a while is ok.

Rating - Strawberry - 5.5, Chocolate - 7

Look

It's Italian, so there's automatic points :) The packaging itself looks pretty fun, very colourful and kiddy like. The biscuits are wrapped around foil. Once you open them though, you can really put it back in the pack, so you either have to eat them all, or store them somewhere else. The wafers are quite pale in colour, and the strawberry is very pink! The chocolate was a very light brown, prob because of the milk content.

Rating - 1.5

C-factor

They were dirt cheap at Harris Farm, only 80 cents for 140g. I'm not sure how much they usually sell for though.

Rating - 1.5

Swiss Points - Strawberry - 8.5, Chocolate - 10

Ingredients

sugar, wheat flour, vegetable shortening, cocoa powder/strawberry flavouring, soybean flour, vegetable oil, salt, stabilizer, soybean leciten, leavening agens, sodium bicarbonate, caramel natural colour and flavour

Available At

Harris Farm Markets
Website

No comments: