Friday, February 16, 2007

Outback Steakhouse


Walking home every day, I always get to smell that fume of burning meat. Since it's a local, I put my prejudices aside and stepped into this place for lunch.

Food

Unfortunately, they have decided to stick to the cliche. There are your standard steaks, ribs and burgers on the menu, as well as that lone chicken and fish dish for the semi-vegetarians. The dessert conform even more to the cliche, mud cake, cheese cake, ice-cream...

Since they call themselves the "outback" steakhouse, I decided to go for the "Aussie" thing on the menu, so we ordered their "famous" Bloomin’ Onion ($8.95), an "Outback original". This came as whole onions cut so that it looks like an echidna, coated in bread crumbs, and fried. It arrived looking very dramatic. All the golden tendrils surrounding a pot of creamy orange sauce. I'm afraid that's the only good thing about this dish though. The onion was raw inside, instead of having onion chips, we ended up having chunks as the onion wasn't cut properly. The batter was lumpy, greasy and salty, and I actually had to drown it with sauce to make it taste better. As a result, we ran out of sauce, but no matter, as there was no way even I who does not like to waste food, couldn't bring myself to finish this.

After that disappointment, we were looking for better things. The The Big Bugger ($13.95) - A ridgy didge works burger, served with bacon, egg, cheese, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, grilled onion & Outbacks special BBQ sauce didn't deliver. I should have known better than to order this when it says on the menu that "burgers are cooked well through and served with chips". The pattie was made with terrible meat, it was chewy, fatty and tasteless, dare I say it, even worst than Macca's patty. Their buns was also of the macca variety. The only difference is they seem to have toasted the bun. The rest of the ingredients was kinda forced down and not worth mentioning. The chips were the only thing that they did well. Crunchy and soft at just the right places...

Rating - 3

Atmosphere

All timber furnishing, booths and big tables. There are "Aussie" decorations around the wall. It's a blokey kinda place. I can see when this place is filled it would be quite atmospheric, if cliche. I think this is more of a family eat out rather than a foodies diner...the bar also serves some cliche drinks and classic cocktails. After the miserable meal, I don't think I can bring myself to try any of them.

Rating - 1.5

Service

Our "waiter for today" was a pimply faced 16 year old. He was a lot better than lots of older people. Even though he lacked experience and his timing was off, I could see he was trying very hard and was quite genuine. Here's hoping he get a job at a better place than this.

Rating - 4

C-factor

I can't believe I paid so much money to eat essentially Maccas! The only redeeming grace is that I get to tell Slokky off for wanting to order that disgusting onion dish.

Rating - 0

Postscript

I just learnt that this is actually an American chain, now that explains things...

Brownie Points - 8.5

Info

Level 1,
3 George St
North Strathfield
NSW 2131
Phone (02) 8756 5741
Website

No comments: