Thursday, February 15, 2007

Emperor's Choice (Bond St)

Another day, another farewell, another yum-cha. I haven't been to this place for about 2 years, so I was very keen to see what has changed.

Food

Well, they have the usual suspects. Most food were fresh, but there was not that much choice, with the same 3 ladies pushing the same trolleys round and round.

We ordered quite a few dumplings. I can report that the fillings are generous, if somewhat bland. The wrapping however, was thick and chewy, a big no-no! The fried food had pretty average batter and were more on the cold side. Last time I was here the food was on par with Sky Phoenix, but it seems like the quality has deteriorated since. Their vegetables seem out of sorts and their BBQ offerings are nothing compared to Phoenix's...sigh, looks like another yum cha place that will be crossed off my list... there's nothing left in the city. I'll just have to venture to Chinatown every time.

Rating - 4

Atmosphere

On a Monday lunch, the restaurant was half full, which is not bad. This place follow the conventional method for decoration. The tables are closed together, there is an overwhelming feeling of pinkness. As I will mention in Service, those pushy people really annoy me, so I can't even eat in peace.

Rating - 1

Service

I couldn't believe how rude and pushy the trolley ladies were. They would literally take stuff off their trolleys, place it on our table until we had to tell them no. They came up every single time and kept going "fantastic food". I think they should let us be the judge of that.

The waiters weren't much better. Even though the restaurant was half empty, they didn't really come to refill our water, they left all these empty plates and steamers on our table. We had to stack everything ourselves and get them to remove it. When I tried to get one of the trolley ladies to take some of our stuff so we could fit more on the table, she was really rude to me and told me to hold on. Yeah, yum chas are meant to be rude, but in all my years in Australia, I've never had it that bad!

Rating - 0

C-factor

$20 p.p. so much more expensive than Chinatown, but for substandard service, a squish space and only passable food, a rip off!

Rating - 0

Brownie Points - 5

Info

20 Bond St
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9231 5032

No comments: