Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gluten Free Gourmet Expo 2006

I didn't know what to expect when I set foot in the Sydney Showground, but I need not fear, as my favourite activity in the whole world, free tastings was only feets away. We gave our donations, collected our trendy showbags filled with some great goodies, and set off to sample land.

I certainly learnt what people with Coeliac disease cannot eat (wheat), as there were stall after stall of cakes, biscuits, breads, and other items you usually associate with wheat. BTW - I did say items you associate with wheat, so yes, there was a wheat free beer too, but I didn't sample it so can't tell you how that tasted.

After all the tastings, I have to say that I am glad I can eat wheat, as bread made without wheat is not bread at all. All the bread and pizza bases we sampled kinda taste and feel like cake, with a heavy dense texture and certainly no spring in their steps. The cakes and biscuits on the other hand, were quite heavenly. Interestingly, because of this intolerance to wheat, all the ingredients that are used to make these food products are usually organic and of high quality. Sure you can't eat as much, but you can certainly eat well.

Here are some of the standouts for me:

  • The excited people at Trialia Foods and their "peanut" butter
  • Peppercorn Food Company sausages.
  • The fabulous soup mix at Basco Gluten Free Foods.
  • Excellent range of vegan burgers, patties and dips from Syndian Natural Food Products.
  • Watching people lap up the offering at Muffin Break.
  • Delicious made on the spot pancakes from White Wings that is of course not made out of real flour.
  • The people at San Remo giving me a free pasta sample but ignoring Slokky even though he walked up to the stand a couple of times.
  • The generous people at Freedom Foods churning out pizzas, fish fingers and pies to the eagerly waiting crowd.

I came away with a load of goodies I would normally buy anyway (being Gluten Free had nothing to do with it), they included:

The Expo is on again in 2007. I've got it marked in my diary, so see you there!

Info

The Coeliac Society
Website

No comments: