Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Verandah Bar


This was the place for my farewell lunch. I'd been here once before, when the place was packed, and this time was no different.

Food

The bar is dominated by a huge BBQ, with the chefs cooking a number of wares on it. I'd tried the Piri Piri Chicken Burger with chilli, Saffron Mayo, Fries ($14) before and was quite impressed, so this time I thought I would test their kitchen skills. Big mistake. My Beer battered fish & chips with Tartare sauce($14) was only warm, the batter was a bit limpy, probably from sitting there for so long. The fish itself was ok, I didn't expect that much from a pub meal, but I DID expect them to serve their meals hot... The shoestring chips were also quite limp, and I prefer fat chips to these anyway. The rocket salad wasn't that fresh, the dressing was substandard. The tartare sauce was quite acceptable, but because the food was bad, I was using it to cover my food in...

Rating - 4.5

Atmosphere

It's a happening bar, and today was no different. We got a table out on the "verandah" today so it was quite nice. What I don't like is the way they squish everyone into one confined space. We were so close to the next party we could here all their conversation.

The look of the place is stainless steel high table with bar stools. There are also some highly prized booths with comfy red cushioning that you have to be very early to nab. There are TVs showing sports. There' not much light at all. I think it's a blokey sort of place, but there seems to be lots of females there, so what do I know?

Rating - 1.5

Service

It's a bar, so you order your meal at the counter, they give you a buzzer, and when it goes off, you get up to get your food, your sauce and your cutlery. Same thing with drinks. The bar staff come around to clear your plates and that's about it.

At least they don't shy away from their own mistakes. A few of the guy's chicken schnitzel(s) ($12) weren't cooked through, and each time it happened, (4 in total!), they were good-natured enough to replace the meal with an apology. At least they make up for their lack of cooking skills with their hospitality!

Rating - 3.5

C-factor

Price is just about on par with other pubs. The food could be just a little better though!

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 10

Info

60 Castlereagh Street Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9238 0888
Website

No comments: