Friday, January 01, 2010

Le Saint Julien 2

Back again after 2 years away.

Food

I was surprised to see that the menu didn’t seem to have changed at all…well I guess classic French dishes always remain the same. I was getting into the whole classic French thing, and what could be more cliché than the snails, which I also had last time. These did not disappoint with their big garlic hit, which I used the baguette to mop up. The Poêlée de gambas au beurre d’ail et senteur d’anis (pan fried king prawns with garlic butter and pastis flavour) (£15.95) – generous with the amount of prawns, not very garlicky, but has enough prawn flavour. My first choice of the bouillabaisse special was sold out (even though we ordered just after 7pm!), so I went for the Cuisse de canard confite, pêche au four et pommes de terre sarladaises, sauce aux épices (duck leg comfit, peach and sarladaise potatoes, sweet spicy sauce) (£17.95) – the skin was nice and crisp. The peach cut the fat, and potatoes had lots of salt to give it flavour. Côtelettes d’agneau grillées servies avec ratatouille de provence, et son jus de thym (grilled lamb chops served with ratatouille and thyme juice) (£17.95) – really juicy and gamey with a flavourful sauce, served with a nicely reduced, very tasty ratatouille.

I was very satisfied with my food, and really didn’t need to eat more, but Slokky wanted to try the Panna Cotta, which, after such good mains, was nice, not nothing special. The berries decorating the plate was not especially sweet. I like the fact that this was not too heavy but still has a creamy texture though.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

Have not eaten here for so long, but they are still doing a roaring trade.

Rating - 2

Service

They were so busy it took them forever to clear our plates, give us dessert menus, get the bill and actually to pay the bill.

Rating - 1.5

C-factor

I don’t think prices have gone up since two years ago, which is good. And I am glad they are still running the 50% off offer.

Rating - 1.5

Brownie Points - 12.5

Info

63 Long Lane
London
EC1A 9EJ
Phone 087 1971 4388

No comments: