Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Canteen Canary Wharf

I was sceptical about coming here for lunch, as I am not a fan of chains, and especially not going to chains for Christmas lunch, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Food

Canteen serves traditional British food, and believe it or not, there were not too many things I could eat on the menu. I started off with a very nice drink. The English Rose – apple, cranberry juice with hint of rosewater, refreshing, not too sweet, and made special with the added rosewater. For entrée, I had the Pint of prawns with mayonnaise (£7.00), which was beautiful. It was just prawns and sauce really, so they couldn’t really muck it up. Yup, you have to peel the prawns yourself, but they were fresh, and I enjoyed sucking all the innards out of it. I opted for the Daily roast served with potatoes, greens and gravy, which was duck today. It came as two generous duck legs, nicely roasted with crispy skin and still juicy flesh. I didn’t really get the addition of apple sauce, but oh well. There was not much of the aforementioned gravy to be seen, so the potatoes, while well roasted, were too dry, and the cabbage very plain. No room for dessert, but I heard that it was not that nice.

Rating - 6.5

Atmosphere

I like the fact that there is lots of glass and lots of light in the space, and you can look out to the park. It’s very noisy and packed in there at lunch time though, and the banquette seatings are quite uncomfortable..

Rating - 1.5

Service

Well, they were quick considering we were quite a big group. I really didn’t like the fact that they were hovering around waiting for me to finish my prawns though. As soon as I was done, I hadn’t even wiped my hands clean, and they whipped the plate away.

Rating - 3

C-factor

£28p.p… which is to be expected when dining out in a group and you split the bill.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 12

Info

The Park Pavilion
40 Canada Square
London
E14 5FW
Phone +44 (0) 84 5686 1122
Website

No comments: