Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Cantina Italia

A quick meal before our party at Halloween, I seem to be hanging around Highbury Islington lately.

Food

I have been told I needed iron, but there was not much red meat on this menu. All the pasta and pizza come with simple sauces, so very Italian in that sense, and they only have 3 meat dishes on the menu, only one of which is red meat. As I still don’t fancy my steaks well done, I went for the Gnocchi with sausage and percorino (£11.95) and a side of Spinach (£3.50), all washed down with fresh orange juice (£2) instead. The gnocchi were very uniform so definitely not house made, they were fine as non home-made gnocchi goes, so of course I’ve had better, but then again, I’ve definitely had worst. The sauce was very pungent, a very strong pecorino taste, and actually had very little sausage in it. Still, I couldn’t finish the whole thing, especially with all the butter that’s in the spinach.

Rating - 5.5

Atmosphere

We dined early as we were going to a party, but there were quite a crowd there, all boisterous after a game at the Arsenal stadium. The other half of the crowd seems to be related to the owner of the place, so it was very loud in there.

Rating - 1.5

Service

Extremely slow. We got our menus quick enough, and they took our order in good time, but that was when the restaurant was empty. As soon as it started to fill up, things slowed to the point that we couldn’t attract any attention. It took them about 20 minutes to sort out our bill.

Rating - 1

C-factor

I have had better Italian for cheaper.

Rating - 0

Brownie Points - 8

Info

19 Canonbury Ln
London
N1 2AS
Phone +44 (0) 20 7226 9791

No comments: