Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Pure Gelato

Taste

I love Pure Gelato, as you can see from my recent post. However, it has come to my attention that I haven't actually posted any reviews on these before, so here goes.

The hazelnut gelato is one of the most well-known and popular of their flavour, and it has loads of awards to boost. I won't list them all but the latest was the GOLD RAS 2005. Yes, this is my favourite flavour out of the about 20 flavours I have so far tried from their selection. An intense hazelnut flavour, the gelato is very very creamy with chunks of real hazelnut spread throughout. It's quite addictive!

I also tried the Grand Marnier flavour which had very subtle orange taste, but I couldn't taste very much alcohol.

Of course a visit to the shops would not be complete without some take-home tub. We got the banana chop-chip at the urging of the sales girls. I've had a thing for banana gelato ever since I tasted the most sublime and beautiful banana gelato in Venice. Since then I've been on the hunt for great banana gelato, both in Italy and in Oz. I came close at Gelateria di Piazza in San Gimignano in Tuscany, but unfortunately I can't go to Italy all the time to get my fix, and I thought Pure Gelato could be the Saviour I was looking for. Alas, it was good, but not good enough. There was still a fake banana taste... not like that silky smooth gelato that was just like eating a frozen banana...The choc chip were not of that high quality either...prehaps this is due to them using less bananas due to their high cost? Maybe I should give this another try when banana prices are back to normal.

Another visit to the shops, where I had the Passionfruit, which is one of the best gelatos of any flavour I've ever had, the tangy passionfruit combining with the crunchy pulp. If only they use the good quality wafer cones...

The 3 flavours I picked up this time are:

  • Amaretto (Roast Almond) (Gold 2004 DIAA NSW), (Silver 1997 DIAA) was lovely, if you like that roast almond taste. It tastes a bit like that Chinese almond stew dessert.
  • Coffee & Walnut is another of their new flavours. The combination of their award-winning coffee gelato with the nuttiness and saltiness of walnuts is wonderful.
  • Green Tea is available as a flavour from quite a few ice-cream and gelato places nowadays. Even though this one won lots of awards (Silver RAS 2005), (GOLD RAS 2004) , I found it quite ordinary, just like all the other green tea available out there.
Rating - Hazelnut - 8, Grand Marnier - 7, Banana - 5.5, Passionfruit - 8.5 , Amaretto - 7.5, Coffee Walnut - 8, Green Tea - 6

Look

The hazelnut was a light brown and tan colour, the Grand Marnier a creamy beige/orange. The banana a very light yellow with bits of choc chips in clusters throughout.

Rating - 1.5

C-factor

You can buy at their factory 1L for $7.90 and 2L for $12.80, 5L for $32.00 It's expensive but you know I am always willing to pay the price for quality. If you join their VIP club you can get 20% off their gelatoes on a rainy week day.

Rating - 1

Swiss Points - Hazelnut - 10.5, Grand Marnier - 9.5, Banana - 8, Passionfruit - 11 , Amaretto - 10, Coffee Walnut - 10.5, Green Tea - 8.5

Ingredients for Banana

fresh mjlk, fresh cream, sugar, milk powder, milk protein, lactose, natural stabiliser, natural emulsifier, banana pulp, glucose, chocolate chips

Available At

Pure Gelato Factory
30-32 Brighton Ave
Croydon Park
NSW 2133
Phone (02) 9716 4488
Website

No comments: