Monday, March 20, 2006

Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel


Yeah, another lunch on the house. We are celebrating the successful completion of Phase 1 of our project, so fitting the occasion, off we go to an upmarket pub.

Food

I think they are calling themselves a "Steak and Ale House" nowadays, but I didn't try the steak or the Ale, so I don't know how that fares. The concept is one up on that of other pubs. You still order from the counter, but they deliver to your table! Alas, you have to get your own drinks at the bar.

First up, I shared a half dozen natural oyster $18. Well, you can't really mess up oysters. These were fresh, if not that plump or briny. We also got some garlic bread, which were good but where's the garlic? It was more like herb bread. Some people ordered Nachos, but I never understand their appeal. It is only ever nice for the first few minutes, until the topping goes cold and the corn chips go soggy, after which you can't eat anymore. These met a similar fate.

Next up, I went for the un-summary braised lamb shanks with root vegetables. A melt off the bone lamb shank arrived, stewed with root vegetables. This was one of the best lamb shanks I've had, and much much better than the one at the beer garden at establishment.

I didn't think they offer up any desserts, but I got my worth by conning Kevin to let me get some Magnums from the convenient Store next door.

Top that up with some Coronas, a few G&Ts, and even baileys on ice, and I was very full and very satisfied.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

This place has obviously had a bit of a scrub up. The outdoors is obviously important for a pub situated right across from the W hotel and right near the water. They have a great little beer garden out the back, as well as al fresco dining out front. The music is funky, the crowd relatively young and out to have a good time.

Rating - 2.5

Service
Well, this is a pub... so I didn't expect much. The guy taking our order was ok, but I was surprised that the barmaid didn't know how to make a martini!! Fan was not pleased and Alan made sure that got rectified! He asked at least 3 different barmaids and even asked to see the manager. Finally, someone somewhere knew how to make a martini, and Fan got her drink, but the verdict? It tasted awful!

Rating - 2.5

C-factor

Poor old Alan obviously haven't seen me eat. He actually bet me $2 that I won't be able to polish off my lamb shank. Needless to say, about 10 minutes later, I've licked my plate clean and earned my dues. Asides from that bit of fun, it was also perfect weather for outside dining, and with some great company and time off work, what else can a girl want?
Rating - 1.5

Brownie Points - 14

Info

2 Burke Street
Woolloomooloo
NSW 2011
Phone (02) 9357 1177

No comments: