Monday, March 20, 2006

Max Brenner


Little known fact - Max Brenner is a chocolatier from Israel, and not some bald guy from Oz... although I think he is bald! People get the perception that he's from Oz because Max Brenner is not very well known internationally at all and Australia is one of the few places it has outlets. I've been trying to find out more about Max without much luck.

Food
The Max Brenner outlet at DJs in the city has a very small menu, but it has everything to do with chocolates! It consists of:
  • various types of chocolates
  • chocolate "shot" served in their trademark suckao
  • "traditional" hot chocolates and coffee
  • chocolate desserts including waffles, souffles, muffins, banana boat, ice-cream
  • tasting plate of Max Brenner praline

I ordered something from the chocolate menu, the Java Dark Chocolate with Orange Blossom, $4.00 - It came in the cute little jug/mug thing. The chocolate taste was very very faint, and it was not very creamy at all, but the hint of orange taste was great, a little like a jaffa. Slokky ordered the Italian chocolate dark, $4.50 from the traditional menu - very creamy, with a darker chocolate hit than mine, but unfortunately, it was very sweet! Alvin tried the Yu... white chocolate, $4.00 from the chocolate menu - I think the consensus was that it tasted ok, but I didn't get a taste so you will have to take their word for it. I am probably too prejudice to judge though since I have a thing against white "chocolate". (In my opinion, no cacao = no chocolate). In terms of hot chocolate, I have to give the edge to Lindt Cafe - their dark chocolate is much creamier and less sweet, but I don't really enjoy the atmosphere and especially the staff there, plus it's more expensive, so they both have their ups and downs, and no one has won over me yet.

Carol and Alvin both tried the dessert as well. Carol had a babka - which is a cake/muffin like creation with chocolate swirls through it. It comes with melted (milk) chocolate dipping sauce. I had a taste, and it was ok, the cake was a bit dry so you def needed to dip it in the sauce, but I prefer Carol's homemade chocolate cake or a moist muffin. It was fun to eat though, just make sure you're wearing dark-coloured clothing! Alvin had a souffle, which by the looks of things, was made with dark chocolate. Again, no idea how it tastes but he managed to finish it!

Rating - 5

Atmosphere
I think this is more of an afternoon tea place, but in my opinion, there is always too many people for it to be cosy. We went at lunchtime and it was pretty busy. Having said that, I really like their layout. There is a liquid chocolate mixer at the entrance, and the cafe is all dark timber furnishing. The tables are a bit small and the space a bit squishy, but being surrounded by chocolates is kinda exciting.

Rating - 2.5

Service
There's really no "service" as such. You look at the menu they have up, go to the counter, place your order, pay and they deliver the food to you. Still, they were slow in handling my request (I had a 10% off voucher) but I did manage to get an extra stamp on the loyalty card (their loyalty rewards are much better than Lindt's though). They brought the wrong food to the wrong table and were just really really slow. (I guess really not the staff's fault but the process ;p)

Rating - 2

C-factor
Expensive chocolate that's not that tasty, but good atmosphere and a unique experience. Would I go back again? Only to collect more stamps on my loyalty card. An occasional visit destination.
Alvin and Carol were great company though. I know why Slokky likes Alvin so much now.

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 10

Info
David Jones
Lower Ground Floor, Elizabeth Street
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9266 5308
Website

No comments: