Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Sydney Food & Wine Fair 2006


Another year, another Food & Wine Fair. The change this year though, was I decided to become a volunteer, so instead of just enjoying the food and helping to raise money, I would actually contribute to its success.

The day started early, with volunteers required for a 8am start. We quickly got fitted out in some black and sexy t-shirts with huge advertising for 42 below vodka. A breakfast of sausage, tomato and mushroom, all sandwiched between excellent Brassarie Bread Cantina Roll made a great start to the day. As usual, the organisation could be questioned, with all the volunteers standing around until 8:30 before our briefing. I was part of the group assigned to direct cars/trucks filled into Hyde Park. Of course, no one would want to arrive early, they all want to arrive at the last minute and do the mad rush, so the 6 volunteers stood around chatting while we waited. My team leader proceeded to tell us offensive jokes for over an hour. Finally I got frustrated and left to help out on something else. I ended up cleaning tables and chairs, then help put out tablecloths, and finally filling Vogue Entertainment and Travel showbags. The ladies at Vogue were really nice and ended up giving me a free bag that they had leftover when the items to fill. We missed out on the makeup, but got a copy of the latest Vogue Entertainment and Travel, some Carmen's muesli bars, Ferrero Raffaello and tasty Katjes fruit jellies.

The hard work over, we were given $20 worth of coupons each, so we decided to check out what was on offer before the crowd descends. Working as a volunteer really lets you see the inner workings of the event. For example, the people from Spice I am were very nice. They were the first to arrive, set up, and when we visited their stalls, gave us some free banana fritters, which were so more-ish, especially since I was missing bananas... The other people to show their appreciations was my favourite bread store, Brasserie Bread, who actually gave us a free chorizo sandwich with Schiacciata that they were selling for $7.50. Needless to say, the bread was wonderful and the sausage and sauce top rate!

The same couldn't be said for the people at Tabou, who were extremely rude and didn't acknowledge our help in any way. Even though I'd always wanted to try out that place, I think now I'll give it a miss.

We met up with some friends (surprisingly we didn't bump into anyone we didn't plan to meet up with this year) and quickly decided on the first stall, some BBQ quail with lemon ($7.50) from Lucios. They were juicy, tender and absolutely delicious. I was lusting after the little tarts from Bourke St Bakery, so I went to pick up a rhubarb & almond tart ($2.50). It was absolutely gorgeous, beautiful pastry, superb almond filling and tender rhubarb. I went back later to get some more, only to discover they had sold out. I didn't learn my lessons from previous years afterall, which is, if you see something you like, grab it even though it might be dessert, 'cos it won't be there later.

Last year, Bathers Pavilion's almond tart with double cream & berry coulis ($7.50) ran out, (but we got one before that happened and it was delicious!), so this year, when we found out it was on again, we made a beeline for the stand. Once again, it didn't disappoint.

By this time, we weren't hungry and desperate, so we took some strolls to discover what else was on offer. I didn't like the look of the delicious bag ($5) as much this year, but I still picked one up. I also picked up a AGT ratatouille with roast lamb ($10), which was actually not that great, but it was for the magazine only.

Eating over, I was free to wonder around enjoying the sights and sound, and marvel at how many people can actually fit into the park, as well as trying to see how many people I know I would bump into. But I had to make my way back to my usual haunt, the Brasserie Bread stand to pick up a loave ($2.50 for small, and $5 for large) and it was as wonderful, as always. Until next year…

In a way I was disappointed that a lot of the players weren't there this year. Claude's has been missing ever since Chui Lee Luk took over the reins, but the other players, like Lindt, didn't show up this year either.

No comments: