Wednesday, August 01, 2007

David Jones Food Hall Noodle Bar


Off to the famous DJs Food Hall to try to use up my gift voucher.

Food

The noodle bar does a mixture of Asian dishes, not just noodles. There were various entrees, salads and curries, but considering the name, I decided to get noodles. I asked for my Pad Thai Chicken ($13.95) to be hot, but they mixed up my order with the girl next to me, as my plate had no chilli and I watched her pick out all the chillis from hers. When I pointed it out to the waiter, she did offer to say the chefs will make me another one, or I could get chillis on the side. I chose the chilli on the side option, as, even though the chilli won’t be totally infused, I didn’t want to keep my friend waiting.

The noodles definitely had the wok-breath, and a crunchy sprinkling of peanuts on top. There was not much chicken or egg pieces but it was cooked nicely. My only complaint is that the sauce is a bit too sweet, and they provided lemon instead of lime, so there wasn’t enough sourness to it. The pad thai at Chat Thai at the TGV is still the best in the city.

Rating - 6.5

Atmosphere

The Noodle Bar is one of many concept "store within a store" at the revamped DJs food hall. Besides the Noodle Bar, there are also the Oyster Bar, the Coffee Bar, the Juice Bar, the Cheese Bar and the Pasta Bar. We went at 12pm on a Wednesday lunch, and grabbed one of the last seats. By 12:30 there was a long line that had formed.

The best thing is probably watching the chefs at work, although the view to their workstations is obstructed from where I was sitting. The worst is probably that you are sitting in a row, so it’s pretty hard to have conversations besides with one person. You can’t really talk and eat at the same time.

Rating - 2

Service

I really felt like I was being rushed, and I guess the huge queue really explains it. Before we had even sat down, we were asked what we wanted to order. They gave us the bill pretty much as soon as we had finished eating too. That being said, the staff was still quite polite and willing to attend to your needs.

Rating - 3.5

C-factor

It’s definitely more expensive than your Asian restaurant, but this is like upper class food right?

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 12.5

Info

65-77 Market Street
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9266 5544
Website

No comments: