Monday, October 16, 2006

Ton Ton 2

Taste

I couldn't help it, went back here for another ramen fix. This place is always really popular at lunch times and had loads of people lined up there. They do all the Japanese favourites, including the full range of ramen flavours. I ordered the miso ramen ($9.00) which I think is the best ramen that they make. The soup had great complexity, the pork was of great quality, and the buckwheat noodles cooked just so. Topped with seaweed, shallots and bamboo shoots, it's a satisfying meal. Did I mention that their food actually come from Azuma's kitchen?

I came back again for the October deal, this time I tried the udon noodle soup ($5.50), and it brought me right back to Japan, it was that authentic! Filled with fried batter and shallots, the noodles were silky smooth and the soup complex, and so cheap!

Rating - Ramen -8, Udon -8

Look

Served up in a wonderful Japanese ceramic bowl, it looked very inviting too. Eating, or slurping it with the wooden chopsticks adds to the authenticity I think.

Everyone knows this by now, but Chifley Plaza is my favourite food court, with loads of comfy seatings and plasma TV (incidentally tuned to Oprah when I was there).

Rating - 2

C-factor

They have a special deal for October where you can get a Ramen and a bottle of water for $8.50. The Udon was $4 with the October coupon, what a bargain! Like I've said before, Ton Ton is more expensive than other Japanese, but I always pay for quality.

Plus, I was entertained all lunch with stories about the gauntlet of ACRM.

Rating - 1.5

Swiss Points - Ramen -11.5, Udon -11.5

Available At

Shop F2, Level 1
Chifley Plaza
2 Chifley Square
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9222 9960

No comments: