Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wagamama Canary Wharf 2

I know, I came back, but there isn’t really much choice for a quick meal at Canary if you don’t fancy the sandwich variety.

Food

I decided to give the ramens here a go, and picked an old favourite in Australia, to see how they do it. Salmon Ramen (£9.55) - noodles in a pork and chicken spiced miso soup topped with a grilled fillet of salmon, seasonal greens, menma, spring onions, wakame and carrots. Garnished with mixed sesame seeds is actually very different to the Australian one. The soup is actually not that bad - if they had not masked it with loads of chilli and made it too salty. The salmon is definitely worst than Oz, but they cooked it well, so it was still pink in the middle. The noodles are very pleasant too. The Ebi Raisukaree (£9.50) - stir-fried black tiger prawns in a coconut and lime curry sauce with ginger, galangal, chillies, coriander, green and red peppers, red and spring onions and mangetout. Served on japanese-style rice and garnished with sliced red chillies and a wedge of lime is a dish I haven’t encountered before, and never again. It reminded me of the kai sen gohan I had last time, except this time, the rice seemed to be drowned in a pool of curried oil. That’s right, you can actually see the oil floating on top of the sauce. The sauce itself was quite acceptable, so another nice dish was ruined.

Rating - 5

Atmosphere

Because we arrived early (before 6pm), we managed to grab one of the prime spots – a 2 person table right by the window, with a view of the shopping centre traffic below. This was great as we could watch everyone come and go, including two very busy new mums….

Rating - 2

Service

I have to say, Wagamama Canary Wharf has one of the better service of all the Wagamamas I have been to.

Rating - 3

C-factor

As usual, I never visit Waga unless I have a 2 for 1 voucher, and this was no different. So…value was ok, but would I ever pay full price for this? No way.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 11

Info

Jubilee Place
45 Bank Street
London
E14 5NY
Phone +44 (0) 20 7516 9009
Website

No comments: