Friday, August 01, 2008

Pizza Express Canary Wharf 3

I’d never been impressed with Pizza Express on all my previous visits, but maybe third time lucky?

Food

After trying the pasta and the new style Romano pizzas, I thought my mistake has been that I needed to go for the classics. So that’s why we picked the Pollo ad Astra (£8.25) - Torn chicken and peppadew sweet peppers, mixed with cajun spices, garlic and red onions and the Parmense (£8.25) - A classic combination of flavours, asparagus, Parma ham and grana padano, then finished with a free range egg -We can cook your eggs hard or soft. Please let us know which you prefer. Well, even with the totally different toppings, it was hard to tell the difference between the two, so tasteless were the flavours. I commend them on the base, which was lightly charred and very nice, but the thing was let down by some flavourless tomato sauce and some plain flavourless cheese. You can imagine how little of the flavour they provide, as even I who prefers subtle flavours rather than bold, was complaining. The only things that had any sort of flavour were the peppers (there was 4 pieces on the whole pizza) and luckily, the ham, which edged the flavour of the Parmense up a notch. So, I think it’s a case of 3 strikes you’re not. I won’t be coming back again unless I am forced to.

Rating - 4.5

Atmosphere

I was surprised by the amount of people that were dining early there, like us. I guess it’s a very family friendly place. There were definitely more than your usual shares of prams there. I hope I don’t have to resort to these sort of places after I have a family though…

Rating - 1.5

Service

Same old, same old. Being ignored and having to wait at the front, really slow service even though there were many waiters. The waiters acting like they don’t really want to serve you…etc etc.

Rating - 1.5

C-factor

This time we had buy one get one free, otherwise, I wouldn’t really come here unless I really had to.

Rating - 8.5

Brownie Points - 13

Info

200 Cabot Place East
London
E14 4QT
Phone+44 (0) 20 7513 0513
Website

No comments: