Thursday, November 16, 2006

De Costi Seafoods

I won a few prices as part of the TGV October competition, so I went to claim my prize today.

Taste

De Costi's is of course originally from the Sydney Fish Markets, but in the last couple of years has spread their retail arm into shopping centres and food courts. The Salt & Pepper Squid & Chips Pack($7.50) was definitely fresh fried, and it came piping out on a bed of chips. The batter was a bit thick, but the pepper coating great. The texture of the squid was kinda mushy, and it didn't really feel like squid at all. The chips were of medium thickness - I know they use McCain's as I saw them take bags of it out of their cool room as I waited. They were ok but a little too salty. The best thing was actually their tartare sauce, not sickly sweet like most tartare sauce, but with a complex flavour and a slight tartness.

Rating - 5.5

Look

The squid has been scored in that beautiful diagonal pattern, and fried to a golden colour. It comes in a Styrofoam box.

Rating - 2

C-factor

For $7.50 you get 7 small pieces of squid and a big box of chips and a small tub of sauce. Probably doesn't cost that much to make... Well, I got mine for free because of the comp, but would I pay for it? Probably not.

Rating - 1

Swiss Points - 8.5

Available At

De Costi Seafoods
RLG13&14, Shop 04
Lower Ground Floor
TGV
500 George St
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9283 9330

No comments: