Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Catalina Rose Bay


I've heard about Catalina for yonks, and even though it sounded nice, I could never justify going there because the food is in the $$$$$ range. If I was going to pay $50 for my main meal I would rather go to a 3 hats restaurant and not just for the location. So when the meal was company sponsored, I was very happy.

We were transferred by limos to the restaurant from the city. The restaurant was booked exclusively for this event, so we didn't have to share.

Food

On arrival, we were greeted with Bollinger and caprioska. I went for the potent stuff, and I have to say, they were very good. The quality of the vodka was top rate and the lime and sugar hit the spot. While downing my drinks, we were also offered a selection of canapes, the highlight for me were the fresh shucked oysters.

The bread roll that was placed at every table, like they do at functions, was nothing to write home about. The signature dish of Catalina house smoked salmon with a salad of avocado, blood orange and dill ($27.00) was great, ripe avocado mixed with a smoky salmon that really sings with flavour. The other entree was Vitello tonnato: veal fillet on potato gratin with tuna mayonnaise and rocket ($27.00) - also quite good, although the potato gratin was not as thin or crunchy because of the ingredients that were placed on top of it.

After some speeches from people I've never met about things I have no idea about, the mains arrived. The Roasted snapper fillet with potato and garlic mash; lemon caper butter ($40.00) was a bit colder and a bit more cooked than I would've liked, but I guess that is the way things are at functions. I have to say, for a seafood leaning restaurant, I thought this was pretty average. The fish was pretty high quality, but bland, and the mash didn't really go with the fish. The Grain fed beef tenderloin, sauteed baby spinach, chilli jam and onion rings ($39.00) suffered the same problem, the beef was only warm, the beef more cooked than I'd like, but the tenderloin was tender. The Steamed green beans ($8.00) were excellent, crunchy and buttery, ditto for the Rosemary roasted potatoes, crunchy on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside.

More seat swapping and the first Christine Anu performance followed, before some great looking desserts arrived. The Vanilla Parfait with Poached Rhubarb and Kadaif ($17.00) was very creamy, and topped with that Persian fairy floss that people started calling hairballs. The Chocolate mousse with chestnut cream and chocolate sorbet ($17.00) came with some brown floss, so that looked even more like hair. The chocolate was very good quality, and this one was very very creamy too. They were washed down with some very good dessert wine.

By this stage the festivities were at full swings, with table hopping frequent. People started filling the dance floor to Christine's 2nd set. Waiters took our coffee orders, and my Vittoria Espresso Coffee Cappuccino ($4.50) was of the more bitter variety than the robust flavour I enjoy, however it was great accompaniment to the very sweet Petit Fours.

All in all, not spectacular food, but pretty great for a function style event.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

If it's not food you pay for here, it must surely be the view. Catalina is basically a pier with huge glass windows where you can look out at the water towards the city skyline. The restaurant was smaller than I thought, giving it an intimate feel. On this cold cold day, there was a real fire burning in one corner, a small illuminated bar, a dance floor that a couple of people made good use of, and a small area where Christine Anu (of Why Don't you Come Join my Party and My Island Home fame) and her 2 guitar accompanist played.

Everybody was dressed in their finest, the mood was upbeat and celebratory, and even the dreaded song, My Island Home sounded better as an acoustics version.

Rating - 3

Service

Other reviews often criticise Catalina on their service, but since this was a function, all the staff had to do was deliver the meals, and make sure all our drinks were filled. They did a commendable job on that, as you should for this type of restaurant. No one particularly good looking, so maybe all the stuck-up ones were fired?

Rating - 3.5

C-factor

If we ate here normally I would have to say that the experience isn't really worth the price - go to est or Tetsuyas instead! But seeing this was a free event, where I got to meet all new people, and having the whole restaurant to ourselves, it made you feel extra special and fabulous!

Rating - 2

Brownie Points - 16

Info

Lyne Park
1 Sunderland Avenue
Rose Bay
NSW 2029
Phone (02) 9371 0555
Website

No comments: