Saturday, January 24, 2009

Walkabout Convent Garden

The first time I saw a Walkabout, I was surprised and curious, about the fact that someone actually themed an Aussie pub. When I realised it was a chain, I lost a bit of interest, but the fact that there are so many of them must mean they are doing something right?...Or maybe it’s because the beer is cheap so they are too drunk to notice…

Food

Our free meal voucher entitled us to a Classic Beef Burger (£5.75) Topped with juicy tomato, crisp lettuce and mayo. It's a classic but truly awesome! - and it was bad. The bun was a bit lacklustre, the pattie a bit tame, dry and processed. It’s paired with one fried onion ring, some lettuce, tomato, but no sauce. With a generous dollop of tomato sauce, it was passable. The chips and salad on the side was boring as too. I guess you shouldn’t expect too much from a free meal.

Rating - 3

Atmosphere

Well I can tell you this much. I’ve been to a few Aussie pubs in my life and this does not look like any Aussie pub I’ve been to. They have a long bar down one side, and various screens with any kind of sport they can think of every meter or so, so I guess it’s popular with the sporting crowd or the hoonies. We were there quite early so there was no one there. The worst thing about the place though, a terrible bleach smell that permeates the place.

Rating - 0.5

Service

Well, the person at the bar was very rude to us, they then deliver our meals without a word, and don’t tell us that they were going to bring us sauce later, so we ended up searching for it ourselves. Terrible even for counter service.

Rating - 0

C-factor

If our burgers weren’t for free, I would never set foot in that place. I am sure no genuine Aussies hang around there anyhow.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 4.5

Info

11 Henrietta Street & 33 Maiden Lane
Covent Garden
London
WC2E 8PS
Phone +44 (0) 20 7379 5555
Website

No comments: