Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tayyabs

After hearing praise upon praise on this place, I knew I had to come and try, and before we move out of the neighbourhood, so I joined the crowd and queued on Saturday night. I am happy to announce though, that I have finally found a replacement for Janani.

Food

Luckily, as I was ravenous from the wait, they plonked down some Mixed Poppadoms with some raw onion, tomato and cucumber, tomato and red chilli chutney and mint and yogurt. It wasn’t just because we were hungry, the flavours were so good I would’ve licked my plate. The food certainly arrived quickly though. We had watched tray after tray of sizzling meat go past us as we queued, so I knew that I would definitely be getting the Lamb Chops, which came coated in Tandoori paste and was actually a bit tough. The Seekh Kebab on the other hand, was one of the best I’ve had, with beautiful spicing.

We opted to share some curries for main. I loved the balance of the spices in the Karahi Chicken Keema. One of the tests for a curry house is of course the dhall. The Dhall with Eggplant absolutely delicious, smoky eggplant and the thick dhall mixed to a thick paste.

Bread is another standout of Tayyabs. The Tandoori Naan (£0.90) was beautifully done, not oily, but with nicely developed air pockets (yes, I am particular about my naan). The Tandoori Roti (£0.70) was more leavened than I thought, but absolutely delicious. And of course, we ordered the very economical Mango Lassi Jug (£5), which was not one of the best I have had, tasting more like a Mango milkshake. I think I will try the sweet lassi next time. And yes, there will definitely be a next time.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

We stood in the blue glow of the light and waited for 40 minutes before we got a table, but the wait definitely worth it. We spent the time by reading all the newspaper clippings and awards they have framed up, as well as observing all the sizzling plates coming out of the kitchen. There just seemed to be a constant stream of young hip things pouring in. Everyone (loaded up with BYO alcohol) looked like they were fuelling up before a night out on the town. This seems to be THE place in town to be.

Rating - 2

Service

If you want to take a lesson in efficiency, this is where you find it. The waiters have the timing down to a pat. I observe them serving about 4 tables at once and getting the timing perfectly. I wouldn’t say the service is warm or friendly, but I admire their skills and the fact that they didn’t put a foot wrong in what to any other restaurant would be a chaotic scene.

Rating - 3

C-factor

Everything came to £27.80. I will definitely be back.

Rating - 2

Brownie Points - 14.5

Info

83-89 Fieldgate Street
London
E1 1JU
Phone +44 (0) 20 7247 9543
Website

1 comment:

Mike the Waiter said...

I am really developing a taste for Indian cuisine...and it sounds like you also enjoy it. One comment about the lamb is that if it is not cooked properly, it can be tough, even a high quality lamb. I always suggest medium rare to medium to avoid this.
wishing you well from Indiana, USA, mTw