Thursday, May 17, 2007

Broun Espresso Bar

Taste

This is a new chain of Espresso Bar that has just started out in Australia, but I have no idea where the other chains are. My Cappuccino ($3) was very middle of the road. It wasn't bad, no not at all in any sense of the word. The temperature was not too hot and the coffee was pretty smooth. Somehow there is still something missing, maybe it's the blend of coffee they use, which they don’t seem to advertise.

On the next occasion, we tried the caramel cheesecake ($4.50), which was surprisingly very good. Not as good as the home-made variety, but it certainly tasted great. Not too sweet, nice texture, the biscuit crust was nice too. I paired it with a moccacchino ($3.50), which was not as good as a cap, but I blame myself for ordering that! The hit of chocolate was way too sweet instead of being subtle.

The third try was latte ($3), which again, was very middle of the road, but not burnt or anything.

Rating - 6

Look

I was really surprised when I walked into the space, the shop was full of Asian baristas! I know this is multi-cultural Sydney, but one thing that I haven’t seen before is an Asian barista!

The shop itself is spacious, with a front counter displaying all manners of cakes. There is a distinct lack of mags, so I guess they don’t really want you to linger. It’s not really an eating place, more a coffee and accompaniment place.

Rating - 1.5

C-factor

Average Town Hall end of town prices, certainly cheaper than Martin Place.

Rating - 1

Swiss Points -8.5

Available At

Shop 1/215-217 Clarence St
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9262 6063

No comments: