Sunday, December 17, 2006

Bond Cafe


Bond is an old favourite for the work set, I come here regularly for coffee. It's the first time I've tried lunch though.

Food

Bond actually pitches itself at the high end of the cafe market, with main course prices in the mid 20s. I ordered the tuna ($27.90), which was actually quite beautifully cooked, to medium as requested. The tuna rested on top of a bed of crunchy potato mash, with a creamy orange and green sauce. We accompanied this by some ordinary white Woodfire bread served with extra virgin olive and balsamic ($4.50) - which I can't believe we had to pay so much money for so little quality. The Potato fries ($6) were shoestring, so not my favourite, but were passable. At least they were crunchy and not dried.

The others seem to like their mains, so it has led me to conclude that the mains are good, but they skim on bread...but since I love bread so much, not performing even adequately in this department means that I have to dock points from them.

Rating - 6.5

Atmosphere

This place is always filled with corporate types. The setting is very casual, white laminated tables, quite closely placed together, with the only section offering a bit of privacy being those seated on the banquettes near the semi-open kitchen. There is a footpath dining section, but that gets filled pretty quickly too.

The furnishing is very safe, and looks like other typical cafes, I wish they'll go for more though.

Rating - 1.5

Service

Well, the staff do a lot of things wrong, like making our table too small to accommodate 7, forgetting my order, to not knowing the etiquette. They redeem themselves though, by fixing any problems quickly and apologising sincerely whenever something happens.

The regulars here also get special treatment, and everyone always seem happy about the place. It certainly helps a lot if you are having a bad day.

Rating - 3.5

C-factor

The mains are about on par. The coffee and the extras are too expensive, especially for a casual place in the city, and with so much competition around.

Having lunch with great company though was all worth it, especially when I can delay my return to evil boss and hell work.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 12.5

Info

111 Phillip St
Sydney
NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9223 9332
Website

No comments: