Friday, August 14, 2009

Bluebird Restaurant

Bluebird is situated in the trendy Clelsea area, so I expected lots of rich posers to be dining here, but the client is more mixed than I thought, all enjoying the classic British food.

Food

The menu was interesting and intriguing, with classic British dishes and lots of different types of pies. I chose the Soused Cornish Gurnard - pea shoots, fennel, coriander, rapeseed oil to start. This was even better than the waiter described. The white flesh had been cured so that it is a smooth, fishy jelly. The accompaniment was light and complemented the sour poaching liquid. The Duck Confit & Ham Hock Terrine - piccalilli, celeriac, toasted brioche was more conventional, but still extremely yummy. I enjoyed the thick toasted brioche that came with the dish too.

I opted for Haddock & Prawn Fishcake - spinach, sauce tartare. You can actually distinguish and taste the fish and prawn in the fishcake, in that it wasn’t all mushed together. I really like that. The Fish Pie - day boat fish, tarragon sauce was excellent. A dry wine sauce formed the base of fish pieces accented by tarragon…I was tempted to try desserts but we wanted to get home early….but this place is so good I want to come back again.

Rating - 7.5

Atmosphere

Bluebird is one good looking restaurant – the name actually derived from the “garage” that was this place before it became a restaurant. So that explains the enormous space. They have a big open kitchen down one side of the restaurant, with neat little divisions dividing the rest of the space up. There is a huge bar in the centre of the room, with the counter illuminated. I only wish they have a little more light as I couldn’t read the menu at all!

Rating - 2

Service

Very professional, I was amazed. I asked the waiter to describe the gurnard dish, and she did it without any problems. She was able to tell me the accompaniment that came on the plate, what the taste and texture was supposed to be. Each course was delivered with clear explanation, and the waiters were also friendly. Top notch service.

Rating - 4

C-factor

We dined here on the toptable rewards point. I was surprised, as we were allowed to choose from any items of their normal £15.50 two course menu, instead of the restricted choice I expected.

Rating - 2

Brownie Points - 15.5

Info

The Kings Road Gastrodome
350 Kings Road
London
SW3 5UU
Phone +44 (0) 20 7559 1000
Website

No comments: