Tuesday, June 23, 2009

C & R

We visited this joint 3 years ago when we first stepped foot in London. At the time, we were really disappointed that this was one of the best restaurants in London, yet served up meals that I could find, and for better, at any old joint back home. And now, 3 years later, after suffering from not having a decent Asian meal for more than a year, has my opinion changed? Yes, but only because the pound is doing so badly, and because I miss Asian food.

Food

The best thing about this meal was actually the drinks. It wasn’t until I had my first sip of my Hot Soya Milk (£2), that I realised how much I missed this, after 1.5 years without. The Pearl Milk Tea (£3.50) bought back memories of happy days in Aussie land, where this drink can be enjoyed at any old Asian joint.

I tried the Singapore Laksa last time and remembered that I wasn’t impressed. This time I went for the Penang Asam Laksa (£6.50)– pineapple, cucumber, tuna, rice noodles, onions. I am sorry to report that it isn’t that much better. A thick coating of oil was floating in the soup, along with a mass of raw onions and a tinned tuna. Everything used was cheap and nasty – not impressed at all. The Nasi Goreng (£7)– fried egg, chicken, greens had the wonderful wok-breath taste, and the flavour was fine…All in all, pretty average. Nothing that urges me to return.

Rating - 5.5

Atmosphere

It was surprisingly not crowded on a Thursday night…maybe it’s the cold weather, or the credit crunch, who knows, but I was happy to get a table. We decided to sit downstairs away from the cold and the wind. It was cramped, but it was warm at least, and we got to watch that trolley go up and down with the food.

Rating - 1.5

Service

Kinda rude, but it reminds me of the cheap and nasty joints from Oz.

Rating - 2.5

C-factor

Compared to 2 years ago, their prices have only risen by about 50p. And if I do the conversion back to AUD nowadays, it’s not such as painful as the GBP is doing so woeful nowadays.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 10.5

Info

3-4 Rupert Court
London
W1D 6DY
Phone +44 (0) 20 7434 1128

No comments: