Friday, November 28, 2008

Woo Jung

When I lived in Strathfield, I went to very authentic Korean restaurants all the time. Heck, my wedding reception was at a Korean restaurant, so it had to be an understatement to say that I am quite familiar with Korean food and I have really missed it since I got to this country. So when I happened to be needing some food near Tottenham Court Road, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Food

I wasn’t that hungry, so I ordered the Gimchi jjige (£5.50) - Spicy soup with kimchi and bean curd cooked with either beef or pork, which like described, had plenty of heat. Besides that there were a few pieces of soft marinated meat, and also a bowl of boiled rice, which worked well to counter the heat and to soak up the juice of course. Slokky had the Dolsos Bibimbab (£6.20) - Vegetables, beef and steamed rice in hot stone pot, which I must say, was not as good as the ones we made at home, but the mix of rice and hot bean paste and half cooked egg still works a treat. Food was definitely good enough for us to come back and try – especially the BBQ.

Rating - 7

Atmosphere

We arrived around 9:30 and the place was still packed, with people staying behind to pick at the leftovers to their food and to chat generally. Not much in terms of décor, but they do have a semi-open kitchen, and that’s why I can see the wait staff weren’t doing their jobs properly!

Rating - 1.5

Service

Terrible! I was expecting much better, especially from a Korean restaurant! So they are not as good as the Japanese, but when I ask for something like tea, I expect it to be delivered at the beginning of the meal, not at the end after we had to ask another 5 times. The only thing that came quickly was the bill, but it

Rating - 2

C-factor

Not really that cheap, well, not compared to Sydney anyway.

Rating - 0.5

Brownie Points - 11

Info

59 St Giles High Street
London
WC2H 8LH
Phone +44 (0) 20 7836 3103

No comments: