Sunday, February 10, 2008

Yo! Sushi St Pauls 2

I know I know, back again so soon, but hey, they had another deal on and I did want to try some of the other stuff on the menu.

Food

There was no restriction on the colour of the plate this time, but we couldn’t order anything off the menu, so had to get whatever came off the conveyor belt. The problem with that though, was there was a long lull where I didn’t want anything from the belt at all, so I chose something I didn’t like to fill the gap, but then when I was getting full, all these things I wanted to try came along, so I was REALLY full afterwards.

Purple


  • Chicken Katsu – Crispy fried chicken in Japanese bread crumbs, with a fruity sauce - I grabbed this fresh off the belt, so it was quite nice, for fried chicken anyway.
  • Takoyaki – Crunchy fried octopus balls with a fruity katsu sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, red ginger and dried tuna flakes
    - again, hot off the melt. You can’t really mess up takoyaki, as long as it’s hot, the sauce does the rest.
  • Mochi – glutinous rice cake - I never had desserts last time I was here, and these are actually one of the things that work very well on a sushi train. These were like…umm, normal mochi!
  • Dorayaki – Japanese pancake with custard filling and raspberry sauce - the favourite snacks of dori-mon, and these were really beautiful, the custard goes so well with the pancakes, the best dish of the day.
Orange
  • Yo! Roll – Salmon, avocado, masago (fish roe) and mayonnaise
    - quite fresh. They do their salmon rolls well, but a bit too much mayo for my liking.
  • Crayfish & Cucumber Futomaki – crayfish, cucumber and rocket - sounds much better than it was, more like bits of crabsticks, not nice at all. This was the one I had after waiting for ages for something to come along.

Pink
  • Hairy Prawns – prawns wrapped in kadaifi pastry with wasabi mayonnaise - average, frozen prawns, and half warm fried stuff do not go well together, but I blame myself for choosing this.
Blue
  • Salmon – finely sliced salmon with wasabi - really just to you’re your stomach, the salmon is not particularly tasty, nor is the rice.
  • Octopus – cooked octopus with a nori band - not fresh, so not good.

Rating - 5

Atmosphere

Slightly less people this time, and slightly less noisy, but it still ceases to amaze me why this place is so popular.

Rating - 1.5

Service

Hit and miss. It was the same people serving as last time. They always seemed hurried, sometimes the service is great, other times really slow. I suppose they are at least trying and not standing around.

Rating - 2.5

C-factor

My bill ended up being £11.50, so it was not too bad. I don’t think I will ever eat here at full price though.

Rating - 1

Brownie Points - 10

Info

Condor House
5-14 St Pauls Church Yard
London
EC4M 8AY
Phone +44 (0) 20 7248 8726
Website

No comments: